Search This Blog

Friday, February 10, 2012

Dandelion Root; An Evil Tea.

I didn't stick with the detox. The mix upset my stomach so much that I couldn't deal with it. I had my last drink of it Wednesday night and am still feeling a little ill. I was curious about why I was having such a reaction to it so I did a little bit of research. I think it is safe to assume the dandelion root is the culprit for all of my problems.
According to livestrong.com, dandelion root is very beneficial to our health. One of its benefits are improved digestion, thanks to its laxative properties (I wish I would have read that before I drank it). It also says that it has effects on the liver and gallbladder. They say it breaks down toxins in both organs, helps ease side effects from traditional medicines that are absorbed by the liver and it can help with appetite stimulation for upset stomachs.
The only side effect I found was an allergy warning. It seems that some people are allergic to the milk found in the stem and that people with allergies to marigold, chrysanthemums, ragweed, daisies, chamomile or yarrow should avoid drinking dandelion tea. 
Finally, I learned that drinking dandelion tea can have some upsetting gastrointestinal effects. Not only does it increase stomach acid which can lead to hear burn, it also has a tendency to cause upset stomachs and diarrhea.
This is slightly confusing because in one paragraph they claim it is helpful to upset stomachs while in another they state it causes them. After this experience, I can say I am not a fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment