Search This Blog

Thursday, March 15, 2012

How hot do you like it?

New research is now finding that spicy food is good for you. From what I've read, the heat in spicy foods literally warm up your metabolism. When this happens, it helps it to work faster and burn more calories. It is the capsaicin in most peppers that causes these fat burning effects in the body, so not just any hot food will benefit you in such a way. The boosted metabolism is just a temporary occurrence when eating chili peppers, but having one spicy meal a day can be helpful in your diet.
I personally have never had much of a tolerance for spicy foods. Typically, I find that the heat overrides the flavor and I end up just feeling discomfort throughout my meal. After learning that the heat actually speeds up the metabolism, I've been trying to eat more spicy foods. Right now, my favorite is the Hunan Chicken from Hunan House in Mt Pleasant. It is loaded with chili peppers and jalapeno peppers and surprisingly has a lot of flavor and not just heat. Another good, spicy and simple meal is spaghetti noodles with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and chili pepper flakes. This is also another one with good flavor and making it at home allows me to add as much heat as I want. 

1 comment:

  1. This is such an interesting blog post! I would've never thought that spicy foods are good for your metabolism. I am exactly like you when it comes to spicy foods: I do not have much of a tolerance for them. I have trouble eating "medium" salsa! However, your post makes me want to add more spicy foods to my diet. I absolutely love Hunan House so maybe I will try the Hunan chicken you liked. The simple recipe you suggested also sounds tasteful and not too spicy which is exactly what I need:)

    ReplyDelete