Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Let me explain myself...

I realize this blog may seem a little strange to some people. I mean, who writes about their digestive system? Most people prefer to not even think about theirs. I never cared about mine, I used to eat whatever I wanted and never gave it a second thought. Even after my surgery, it wasn't long after and I was already back to eating foods that I wasn't supposed to. Deep fried foods have been the hardest for me to give up. I think we can all agree that anything fried is delicious. I love food so the thought of having to cut all kinds out it of my life is a very unsettling thought for me.
According to livestrong.com those who have had a cholecystectomy (better known as gallbladder removed) should avoid high fat and fried foods, red meat, whole milk products, caffeine, beans, legumes and gas-producing vegetables which include broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. I feel like that's kind of a long list of food that I'm just not supposed to eat anymore. And when they say caffeine they really mean coffee and tea. Now let me tell you, talking to me in the morning before I've had coffee is like poking a sleeping bear. It's hard to believe one little organ tucked under your liver can have such a profound affect on your bodies ability to digest food.


So here we are today, after a good 6 months of ignoring my body and eating basically whatever I wanted. I'm fed up. For a while I thought I could handle my occasional "tummy troubles" but it really isn't worth putting up with. I stumbled across a book called The Inside Tract: Your Good Gut Guide to Great Digestive Health. This book has become my digestive bible. It is all about how much what you eat and what your body absorbs from what you eat can impact your health. I'll get more into the book later because I think I've written enough for tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie
    My name is Dusty. We have BIS 264 together. I know how you feel. I too had my gallbladder taken out. I was have systeoms that you would if you thought you were pregnant. Oddly enough the only food I could eat was bacon. Yes I said bacon. The Doctor couldn't believe it either till we had dinner with him and his wife. I am back to normal and eating what ever I want. I have appsoultely no problems eating. No foods bother me at all. I know that sounds weird, but I guess I'm the weird one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how different it affects everyone. I have a friend who had their out 6 years ago and still has a hard time eating most foods. I'm thankful I'm not that bad but am jealous that you don't have any issues with food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your writing is pretty good, Katie, and your theme is interesting. I'll press you to improve, however, as in the statements "Deep fried foods have been the hardest for me to give up. I think we can all agree that anything fried is delicious. I love food so the thought of having to cut all kinds out it of my life is a very unsettling thought for me." there are opportunities. You use the word 'thought' twice in close proximity to one another. Stretch your vocabulary. Look for appropriate places to use commas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input. I will keep that in mind. I didn't notice that I used 'thought' twice in the sentence until you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete